Whenever Kerio Control processes a rule that includes Applications and Web Categories, Application awareness is activated. Application awareness means that the behavior of content filtering and bandwidth management in Kerio Control changes. The following instructions explain how to set content rules to block social media content.
- In the Administration interface, go to Content Filter.
- Click on the Content Rules tab, then click on Add.
- In the table, type a name for the rule.
- Double-click on the Detected content column.
- In the Content Rule - Detected Content dialog box, click on Applications and Web Categories.
- In the Applications and Web Categories dialog box, select Social Networking.
- Click on OK twice.
- Do not change the Source column.
- Double-click on the Action column.
- In the Content Rule - Action dialog box, select Deny.
- Type a deny text that appears to users in their browsers when the rule is matched.
- Click on OK.
- Click on Apply.
From now on, Kerio Control blocks all attempts to use social media like Facebook or Twitter, depending on the settings you chose.
Debugging Application Awareness