When users try to install the Kerio Control VPN client, the installer is interrupted with the following message:
Error 28201. Failed to install VPN device driver. Result: E_UNEXPECTED, device is already registered.
As a result, the Kerio VPN client connection cannot be established.
The error is usually shown in certain Windows 8.1/10 environments.
Reset local network settings
- Click on the Windows menu, type in
cmd, right-click on the Command Prompt and click on Run as Administrator.
- Execute the following commands:
netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset
- Download KT Uninstaller.
- Run the KT Uninstaller utility.
- Choose Kerio Control under the Product family, and run the cleanup depending on your version of the VPN client (64 or 32-bit) to make sure the registry key or config is removed.
- Restart the computer once both cleanups have been completed.
- Download the most recent version of VPN Client from the Kerio Software Archive.
- Right-click the .exe installation file and select Properties.
- In the General tab, check the Unblock option.
Note: if the Security section is not available, please proceed to Step 8.
- Click Apply and then OK.
- Run the installer as an administrator.
- If the above still fails, please try to download and install the Kerio VPN client in different versions.
The installation wizard completes this time, and no error message is generated.