When the user tries to install the VPN device driver, the installer is interrupted with the following message:
Error 28201 - Failed to install VPN device driver. Command: UPDATE. Action: LookupDevice. Result: E_UNEXPECTED, device is already registered.
This issue can be caused by a previous registry key or configuration available in the computer that is interfering with the installation or is blocking the installer itself.
- Download KT Uninstaller.
- Run the KT Uninstaller utility.
- Choose Kerio Control under the Product family, and run the cleanup for both 64 and 32-bit versions of the VPN client to make sure the registry key or config is removed.
- Restart the computer once both cleanups have been completed.
- Download the most recent version of VPN Client from the Kerio Software Archive.
- Right-click the .exe installation file and select Properties.
- In the General tab, check the Unblock option.
Note: if the Security section is not available, please proceed to Step 8.
- Click Apply and then OK.
- Run the installer as an administrator.
- (Optional) If the above still fails, please try to download and install the Kerio VPN client Beta version.
The installation completes this time, and no error message is generated.