Kerio Control enables you to configure a limit for the volume of data a user can transfer, as well what happens when that quota is exceeded.
Configuring user quotas
- In the administration interface, go to Accounting and Monitoring > Data Gathering.
- Select Gather internet usage statistics.
- In the administration interface, go to Users.
- Select a user (or a template) and click Edit.
- Select one or more of the Enable ... limit options: daily, weekly and/or monthly.Use the Direction drop-down list to select which transfer direction to control:
- download = incoming data
- upload = outgoing data
- all traffic = both incoming and outgoing data
- Type the quotas and select the units from the drop-down list.
- Choose one of the Exceeded quota action options.
- Block any further traffic allows the user to continue using the open connections. However, no new connections can be established, such as connecting to another server or downloading a file through FTP. If users exceed their quotas and Kerio Control blocks the traffic, the restriction is applied until the end of the quota period (day, week, month). To cancel these restrictions, temporarily disable the limit, raise its value, turn off the block, or delete the data volume counter of the user in the Status > User Statistics section.
- Don't block further traffic limits the Internet connection speed for the user. Traffic is not blocked but the user may notice that the connection is slower.
OPTIONAL: Select Notify user by email when quota is exceeded and specify an email address in the Edit User dialog box.
NOTE: The Kerio Control administrator can also be notified when any user quota is exceeded.
Configuring a bandwidth rule for exceeded quotas
If you don't want to block the traffic when users exceed their quotas, you can limit bandwidth for all users who exceed a certain limit. In the following example, the bandwidth is limited to 2 Mbit/s.
- In the administration interface, go to Bandwidth management and QoS.
- Click Add.
- Type a name for the rule (for example, Exceeded quota).
- Double-click in the Traffic column.
- In the Traffic dialog box, select Exceeded Quota.
- Click OK.
- Double-click in the Download column.
- In the Download Bandwidth Policy dialog box, select Do not exceed and type the value (for example, 2 Mbit/s).
- Double-click in the Upload column.
- In the Upload Bandwidth Policy dialog box, select Do not exceed and type the value (for example, 2 Mbit/s).
From now on, all users who exceed their quotas have their Internet connection slowed down to 2 Mbit/s.
NOTE: If you want to release the limit for a particular user, delete the data volume counter of the user in the Status > User Statistics section.