If you have lost your Administrator password or it needs to be recovered, the Kerio Control password reset USB tool can be used. If the access is lost you cannot log in to Kerio Control Webadmin to administer the network configuration.
The USB password reset procedure applies to Hardware appliances, such as NG100, NG300, NG500, etc.
This article provides the steps to recover a password in NG Series devices using a USB flash drive.
Prerequisites and Important Considerations
Make sure that only one partition with the
FAT32 (VFAT) file system is created on the flash drive. The USB disk must not be formatted with the
ext4 file systems. The USB drive should have at least 256 MB capacity.
Kerio Control NG500 requires a flash drive formatted with an MBR. USB drives with floppy-type formatting cannot connect to NG500.
You can reuse the USB drive for other purposes after recovering the password. However, because the password reset file creates partitions on the USB flash drive, you need to do the following to reuse the drive:
- Remove all disk partitions.
- Create one or more new partitions.
- Reformat the disk with your file system.
Note: the procedure is performed on the NG100W box as an example.
- Insert the flash drive into a USB port on your computer.
Download and save the Kerio Control Password Reset File to the flash drive.
- Eject the USB drive safely.
- Turn off the hardware box. Make sure the power button is red.
- Plug the USB flash drive into the USB port on your box.
- Turn on the hardware box. The power button will turn green.
- Wait for 2-5 mins so the password reset procedure is executed.
- Turn off the hardware box.
- Unplug the USB drive.
- Turn on the hardware box.
- When the Kerio Control Engine starts up, open the administration interface in a browser.
- In the activation wizard, create a new password for the admin account.
- Click Finish to complete the process.
Open Kerio Control's administration interface and log in using your newly created Admin password.